I'm a US (California) Citizen currently working/living in Ireland on a visa. I am currently in the United States (California) visiting my parents.

I own some index funds on Vanguard.

I want to trade these shares into a different fund on Vanguard.

Will doing to entitle Ireland to my shares tax wise

  • It's complicated, and I don't know the answer to your question. The answer will require an examination of a) whether you are a tax resident of and domiciled in Ireland (these are separate questions); b) what kinds of gain or loss will occur because of this trade; c) whether the gain or loss are "taxable events" under the Irish tax laws; d) whether the gain or loss are "taxable events" under the US tax laws; and e) the effect of the US/Ireland Tax Treaty. Commented Apr 14, 2022 at 19:04


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.