I live in British Columbia (BC) and I have class 7 license. I am moving to Seattle on a TN visa and I'm wondering if I can also exchange the class 7 license for the full Washington license without additional testing? I ask this because I am in a rush to get auto insurance from Washington state and I need a local driver license to avoid extra charges. I am in a rush to get auto insurance because I will be on a temporary 1-week auto insurance policy from BC.

According to the DMV website, it seems like I can?


On that note, I am getting a temporary 1-week auto insurance in BC, since the old one will expire soon. When I get my license in Washington, do I have to turn in my BC license? Would my BC auto insurance still cover me when I don't have my BC license?

  • You should check whether your BC insurance will cover you at all in the US.
    – mkennedy
    Aug 7 '14 at 23:36
  • Which DMV in Washington did you go to?
    – Lily
    Nov 7 '18 at 5:12
  • I think I went to Bel-Red Auto License in Bellevue.
    – gruuuvy
    Nov 7 '18 at 22:51

Great news everybody! I just got my BC class 7 license exchanged for the full Washington one!

  • 1
    Could you ellaborate whether it was straightforward to do this, or if you'd had some issues in the process?
    – SztupY
    Aug 11 '14 at 9:29
  • It was straight forward. Go to the DMV and tell them you have a BC license and you want to switch it to the Washington one. Just make sure you have all the required documents with you!
    – gruuuvy
    Oct 10 '14 at 17:24
  • 1
    So now you can switch it back to a full Canadian license. Sounds like a great loophole :) Mar 26 '18 at 20:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.