I currently have a New York drivers license and have been living in the UK for 3 years and have to renew it. Unfortunately my permanent address is currently in California, so I am unable to renew the New York one. How am I able to get a California drivers license without going back to the US?

Thanks for the help!

  • You probably can't. Since you don't actually live in California, you may even be ineligible for a California license. Even if you are eligible, they'll have to take your picture, for which you must be physically present.
    – phoog
    Feb 9, 2016 at 14:49
  • 4
    Also note that your driving licence is invalid in the UK after 12 months of being there (so if you've been driving with it it was already invalid for the past 2 years). If you want to continue driving in the UK you have to pass the test there.
    – SztupY
    Feb 10, 2016 at 10:01
  • 4
    Possible duplicate of How to renew a US driver's license when living abroad
    – user9879
    May 22, 2017 at 8:21

1 Answer 1


You can't. You'll need to physically show up at the DMV with your New York license to exchange it for the California one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.