I am in Los Angeles and moving to Bay Area but before that I am going to renew my Driver's license.

I am sure that DMV will be providing me a temporary license (paper one) and they are going to mail the permanent one on my mailing address. Since, during this time I will be moving to Bay Area, is it possible to fill my Bay Area address and ask DMV people to mail it over there? Please advise.


1 Answer 1


Of course it is, but keep in mind that it may arrive there before you so you need to make sure someone you know picks up the mail. From my experience it takes about 2-3 weeks.

  • Thanks for your answer. I will be leaving for Bay Area right after getting my paper license so I will be able to easily pick it up.
    – John
    Jul 19, 2015 at 18:59
  • Could you explain me where I will get an option of filling a different mailing address at DMV?
    – John
    Jul 20, 2015 at 0:39
  • @John there's only one address on your driver license, and that is where they'll send it to.
    – littleadv
    Jul 20, 2015 at 4:17
  • @littleadv Are you sure about that? The DL44 application form has space for both a mailing address and a residence address. I would assume they print the second one on the license card, and mail it to the first one. See dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/forms/teenweb/permit_btn1/dl44sample.pdf (pdf) for an example. Jul 21, 2015 at 5:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.