If you live in Japan as a mid- to long-term visa holder with the latest visa about granted 1 year or earlier, then you know that the Japanese Immigration Bureau no longer stamps your passport with a sticker as they did before. Instead your status of residence is stated on your residence card along with its expiration date.

Unfortunately some employers have not changed their policies to allow for the change, so they need to see your passport, where no useful visa information is present. What can I do about this situation?

  • 1
    One possible solution: show your passport to your employer as you have been asked to do.
    – phoog
    Oct 25, 2017 at 16:28
  • I have no problem showing it- it just just shows an expired visa. Oct 25, 2017 at 23:57
  • As long as you have a newer alien card demonstrating that you are authorized to stay in Japan, the old expired visa should not be a problem, don't you think?
    – phoog
    Oct 26, 2017 at 5:01
  • I have tried to fix the incorrect terminology, but I have no idea what "with the latest visa about 1 year ago" is supposed to mean.
    – fkraiem
    Oct 27, 2017 at 0:10
  • I experienced something similar in another country. My solution was to print a screen dump from the governmental webpage that explained the rules and a print (verified or not) of my permit and fold it neatly into the passport and staple it to the last page. Employers and local authorities managed to deal with the conditions without having to ask me or loosing face. I don't know if it works in Japan, however.
    – user2821
    Oct 29, 2017 at 7:54

1 Answer 1


The best solution is to avoid companies with such incompetent idiots. Very common that they are incompetent not only in such small thing but in Japanese labour laws too. So you should expect demands for overtime more than it's allowed by laws because of pointless tasks and very inefficient and incompetent management.

  • This is Japan- government doesn't advertise at all so the head person doesn't know about the rules. Oct 26, 2017 at 1:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.