I am an Indian citizen working in the USA on an H-1B visa for the last 5 years. I have a valid I-797 but the stamping on the passport has expired.

I have applied for a job in Belgium and I'm in the process of getting an offer. Can I get the work visa stamped for Belgium in the USA, without going back to India?

Are there any different options available?

1 Answer 1


The Belgian diplomatic mission to the US says that after you receive your work permit from your employer

You can then contact the appropriate consular office in whose jurisdiction you are a resident, to apply for a long term visa.

Since you reside in the United States, you should apply in the United States. If you try to apply in India, your application may be rejected because you do not reside there.

The "appropriate consular office" can be found by visiting the list of missions in the US. Visit the Jurisdiction page for each mission, and see whether your place of residence is listed. If it is, that is the mission where you must apply.

  • so does that mean, even though i am an Indian citizen i can apply in USA through Belgian Embassy?
    – chetank
    Commented Apr 5, 2018 at 18:15
  • 1
    @chetank it means that you must apply in USA. Furthermore, you must apply at the Belgian embassy or consulate in whose consular jurisdiction your place of residence lies. So, for example, if you live in Colorado, you must apply through the Los Angeles consulate general, not the embassy.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 5, 2018 at 18:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.