I would like to ask about EEA national. I am Italian but my father has a Indian passport and he depends on me . My father has a residence card of a family member of a union citizen. Now he came hear with me without visa under article 10. I would like to ask you what I can do next? Can I apply directly for permanent residence card or I need a apply for EEA family permit.thank you

1 Answer 1


It is not necessary to have an EEA family permit before applying for a residence card. See Apply for a UK residence card/Documents you must provide:

For each person on the application you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport
  • 2 passport size colour photographs
  • one passport size colour photograph of your European Economic Area (EEA) national (or British citizen) sponsor
  • your EEA family member’s valid passport or national identity card
  • evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member - such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate, or proof that you’ve lived together for 2 years if you’re unmarried

You also need to provide proof of one of the following, depending on your eligibility:

  • that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence
  • that your EEA family member is a ‘qualified person’
  • that you qualify because of a ‘retained right of residence’
  • that you qualify for a ‘Surinder Singh’ application

Nowhere is the EEA family permit mentioned.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.