Let's say that the 120 days work permit is approved by authorities but a project requires the person to continue after 120 days, as well without any gap. So in that case, is it really mandatory to have 2 months cooling off period for the 120 days permit to be followed by a L permit?

  • It's not an issue of just 2 months. 120-day permit is for work up to 120 days per 12-month period.
    – xngtng
    May 10, 2021 at 14:50
  • L permit is "short term permit". If you need more time, you must select a different permit.. In any case, this is not about travel
    – Giacomo Catenazzi
    May 10, 2021 at 15:39

1 Answer 1


A 120-day L permit is designed to allow up to 120 days of work in Switzerland in any 12-month period. It is for short-term workers exempt from the quota.

You cannot obtain another 120-day permit if you have already used up 120 days in the previous 12-month period. Some cantons may be more lenient if there is actual exceptional circumstances or particularities, but you can't count on it.

You may obtain another short-term permit (usually less than 4 months) after a two-month cooling off period.

You can also obtain without a gap a year-long L permit, but that will be subject to the quota.

  • Thank you for your reply !. if I look at your sentence "You can also obtain without a gap an year-long L permit, but that will be subject to the quota".- so (for Non-EU person) you are saying if you have quota then without cooling off period you can switch to L permit from 120 days permit. but for Non-EU person generally it is a rule that 2 months cooling period is needed when you switch from 120 days permit to L permit though you have quota. what is your say on this?
    – Mayur
    May 11, 2021 at 11:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.