I am a non EU national, who already has a business visa C for 5 years (multiple entry) for Schengen area which allows me to stays 90 days at once. Meanwhile, I have been accepted at a university in Belgium as a student for a course of 1 year.

I want to ask whether I can enter Belgium using my current business visa and change it with Belgium authorities to a student visa?

[Meanwhile, since I have a business visa, I will be working for one of my home country institutes as their representative in Belgium, where my home country will pay me, which I will do while studying as student]

  • 1
    I have changed the title question because those rules depend on the country, even within the Schengen area. – Gala Aug 15 '15 at 6:44

Generally speaking, it is not possible to apply directly for a residence permit or long-stay visa within Belgium if you entered Belgium on a short-stay visa (i.e. a Schengen type C visa). Instead, you must do that from your current place of residence. There are a few exceptions but they do not apply to your current situation.

Furthermore, you current visa almost certainly does not allow you to work from Belgium, even for a foreign employer. In the Schengen area, there is no such thing as a “business visa”, only generic short-stay visas and, while they do cover business visits, they do not allow work without an additional prior authorization.

Furthermore, a type C visa is only for short visits up to 90 days so it's difficult to see how it could be relevant to the rules that apply during your one-year stay one way or the other (that's the reason why you need another visa in the first place!).

Also note that the whole plan might sound sketchy to a consulate: If you intend to do more than incidental work during the holidays and you apply for a work permit, it looks as if you won't really have time to study and therefore do not have a valid reason to apply for a student visa.

  • Dear Sir, Thanks for your answer. To be honest, i have one month more exactly to go before i leave to Belgium so there is less time for me to apply for student visa from here. What if i go with my business visa and apply from there..Would i get black listed? or will i have to come to my home country again in the middle of the course to change the visa type? – user32801 Aug 15 '15 at 18:16
  • @user32801 You probably won't get a visa/it will be refused or possibly won't even be able to lodge an application. The rules are quite clear. – Gala Aug 17 '15 at 16:17

protected by phoog Feb 11 at 15:12

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.