I have a job offer from a company based in the US and they want me to start working full-time while they do my H1B visa transfer from one of my previous employers to this one. I currently work in India.

It is a contract position for now.

I would like to ask you how will this work legally. Would it be a 1099 contract or something else because I wont be physically present in the US?

1 Answer 1


1099 is the form used to report payments to contractors where the payer and the payee are US entities for tax purposes.

If you're a US tax resident - you'll receive this form. If you're not - you probably won't.

That's just a form.

  • US tax resident? Didnt get that. I am a citizen of India. Mar 3, 2015 at 13:00
  • @RahulDesai I'm not sure I understand your confusion. The fact that you're an Indian citizen has nothing to do with your tax residency. Being on H1b status you're likely to have been a US tax resident, and depending when you left the US - you may still be.
    – littleadv
    Mar 3, 2015 at 13:47
  • Earlier when I was working in the US, I was not on H1B, I used the CPT work permit provided by my school. Also, I have paid all taxes till date in US and India. So, I have never worked on H1B till date. I am trying to avoid 1099 to save on taxes. Having given this information, will I still get 1099? Mar 3, 2015 at 14:09
  • @RahulDesai as I said - 1099 is just a piece of paper. What exactly are you trying to avoid?
    – littleadv
    Mar 3, 2015 at 14:14
  • I am trying to avoid the US taxes. EDIT: and also Indian taxes. Mar 3, 2015 at 14:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.