I don't have a degree. May I apply for a Competency-based Degree in USA, would this be a good degree for immigration to Germany?

This is a Bachelor's, but acquired online.

Please check the program here:


Will the program recognize this type of Degree??

  • 3
    I have my doubts. Your "degree" will have to be evaluated by a credential evaluation agency so you may check with them to see which programs if any will be accepted in this case. My guess: without completing formal program: none – Karlson Jun 9 '15 at 3:58
  • Which university? Beware of scams in this area. – nkjt Jun 10 '15 at 9:35
  • @nkjt University of Wisconsin, at least in US this degree qualifies me to any master´s degree. – user6682 Jun 10 '15 at 12:30
  • University of Wisconsin online? Or University of Wisconsin in Wisconsin? – Karlson Jun 10 '15 at 12:42
  • @Karlson This is the University and the program: flex.wisconsin.edu/blog/category/competency-based-education-2 Just to clarify I meant a master´s in Computer Science What do you think Guys? – user6682 Jun 10 '15 at 12:44

While the Flex program is accredited, and from a well-recognised university, it is rather new, and it's hard to say whether it will be accepted as equivalent to a traditional bachelor's degree (including a traditional distance-learning program).

One issue is that if you go through the program quite quickly (which I get the impression is possible under this system) your transcript will show that.

The ECA results table suggests that there is a minimum time limit for attendance, as categories include:

  • Bachelor's degree or other programs (three or more years) - 21 points for FSW program
  • Two year degree, diploma, or certificate - 19 points
  • One year degree, diploma, or certificate - 15 points

I don't think there's a simple answer, but you should be aware that there's a very real chance that they consider it "less" than a traditional three/four year program. On the other hand, they might still consider it equivalent to the one or two year categories, which still gives you a significant number of points, and employers may also look favourably on it.

What you could do is find out who can do an ECA for your job category, and give a them an email asking if they assess distance learning degrees and if there is any official guidance on the matter.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy