I am a non-EU citizen. I work for a German company on a common work permit, not the blue card.

I am going to be on business trip to South America for 4 to 5 months. At the end of the project I will go back to Germany, which is my country of residence.

So, how long can I stay outside Germany with this type of visa?


1 Answer 1


I would guess that what you have is called not work permit (also you have that as well) and not visa, rather it is called a residence permit for the purpose of employment (§18 AufenthG). Then you are allowed to leave Germany for 6 months. If needed, you can make an individual application to extend this time.

  • 1
    That's obvious, that's just the technical term for Visa - "Residence Permit for the purpose of employment". Jul 28, 2017 at 8:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.