I have heard that Spain has some "humanitarian visa" for people flying out of horrible countries like Venezuela… The name of that is "tarjeta roja" or red card. Does anyone can tell me what Venezuelans have to do to get that card?

1 Answer 1


To request international protection in Spain an asylum seeker must present a formal application to the competent authorities. There are two main ways to apply for asylum: in the Spanish territory or at border controls. Asylum applications cannot be submitted through embassies or consular representations outside the Spanish territory.

If the application is declared admissible, the Ministry of Interior will have a period of six months to examine the request. However, in practice this period is usually longer. During this time, the applicant will receive new documentation certifying his or her status as asylum seeker, a red card (tarjeta roja). https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/spain/short-overview-asylum-procedure

  • does this mean that I need to fly to spain as a Tourist and then there apply? Mar 22, 2019 at 13:12
  • Not necessarily - a ‘tarjeta roja’ is not a type of visa that you can apply for from outside Spanish territory, but you can arrive there by air, sea or land. This section asylumineurope.org/reports/country/spain/… notes that at the end of 2018 there were over 28,000 pending asylum claims from Venezuelans
    – Traveller
    Mar 22, 2019 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.